Solar energy is becoming more attractive in Indonesia. Why?
1) The price of solar installations has dropped by 70 per cent in the last five years and has become more affordable to everyone.
2) There’s an increasing number of companies going into solar business and promoting solar energy.
3) The government is promoting solar solutions by introducing net metering and installing solar on their own buildings.
4) Residential PLN rates have made the solar payback period more attractive to private home owners.
5) Large domestic and international companies have pledged to be “green” and to use renewable energy as an electricity source.
6) New government Solar Regulation from July 2016 has made investment in large scale solar farms attractive to domestic and international developers.
But, many customers still have the same question. When is the BEST TIME to invest in solar in Indonesia?
There’s still the opinion that people should wait a few more years as solar modules will be more efficient and the cost of installation will be lower by 2019 and 2020.
Is this really the case, though?
- Development in solar cell efficiency has been very slow and we are only talking about 0.3 to 0.5 per cent increase on an annual basis in last 10 years. Current efficiency of solar cells is between 15 to 17 per cent. We do have solar modules with over 20 per cent efficiency, but they are 60 to 80 per cent more expensive and mostly used for small scale projects with limited space available. There does not appear to be any dramatic development on solar cell efficiency in the future.
- Yes, solar module prices are still falling due to the reduction in processing costs, the fall in polysilicon costs and the improvement in conversion efficiencies, as well as oversupply. Waiting a year or two for prices to drop might save on installation costs but not on your electricity bill during that period, which is the main point of the exercise.
Basically, the earlier you invest in solar energy, the earlier you will start saving. It’s as simple as that. But, that’s not all from us!
Besides purchasing solar systems, soon you will be able to have solar installed on your rooftop without upfront investment.
PT Contained Energy has been servicing the solar market in Indonesia for the past 12 years and we are ready for the next step by introducing Solar Leasing and Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) to commercial and industrial customers.
What does that mean and how does this scheme work?
PT Contained Energy Indonesia will install, operate and maintain the solar system at your property and you will be paying rent to us based on the electricity you consume.
Zero investment, zero risk, huge benefit for customers.
Now is the time to call us and become part of the solar revolution in Indonesia